Sunday, July 26, 2009

Durham

It's been quite a blogging hiatus, but we're back! Since our last post, we packed up our house and moved 40 miles down the road to Durham. I've gone from driving 42 miles (50 minutes) each way to work to 2.5 miles (5 minutes) each way. I go home for lunch every day. I'm a happy girl.

The weekend before we moved, Shel and I had a yard sale at her house in Raleigh. It's always nice to make a little money off the junk you don't want anymore, but it's also a lot of work to put on a yard sale. Plus, it was a really hot day. Here are some pics:

For those who have never seen it, this is the log cabin we left behind, deep in the country in Chatham County (obviously not taken on moving day in July):

So, on to the new house. We now have many amenities in life that we were missing out on in the country. For example: central AC and central heat, a working oven, trash pickup, cell phone reception, and my all-time favorite, high-speed internet! It's a cute one-story brick house with three bedrooms, built in the 60s. Nothing palatial, but it certainly suits our needs. One of the bedrooms is my very own craft studio, which I generously share with mr's desk and computer. It's heaven. Here's the house:

On moving day, I went ahead to the new house with the animals while mr stayed behind with the movers. As they explored, I took some pictures of the (mostly) empty house. Here's the living room:

Cute kitchen, with the awesome cabinet hardware:

Master bedroom:

Craft room, with huge storage closet:

And guest bedroom, for any who want to come visit!

The movers (thanks, Dad!!!!), Two Men and a Truck, were really good. I highly recommend them. The two men didn't stop to take even a 30 second break, they were friendly, and made the whole move pretty stress-free. Unfortunately I missed it, but mr told a funny story of them running over and getting stuck on the playground turtle in the front yard of the cabin. They problem-solved their way out, and the (now scarred) turtle still stands!

As with most homes we live in, the front door had to be removed to squeeze the couch into the house. At least this time, we had movers (thanks again, Dad!!!).

The pets are adjusting well. Changa's got a big new backyard:

We even have a big shed and mr gets to mow the lawn!

Kitty Huginn has become an indoor-only kitty, so spends most of his time looking out the window now. Sometimes there's only a windowpane between him and a feathery lunch.

I feel like I should give a prize to those who are still reading, now that I've rambled on so. We're slowly settling in to the new house. Mr misses the woods a little. We've had fun trying every restaurant in a 3 mile radius. We live within walking distance of the public library. I got a borrower's card today and picked up the Martha Stewart Encyclopedia of Crafts. We hooked up the Sirius satellite radio in the house today, so now we can call it home.

1 comment:

  1. Mr Kitteh looks so alarmed pacing around the empty house.

    We just moved from a tiny apt to our first ever house too. It has three bedrooms (well, one is going to be all plastered in baby crap soon), including one whole one just for GUESTS! It blows my mind that people don't have to blow up the air mattress to go to bed when they visit.

    ReplyDelete