Saturday, June 26, 2010

Camera bag

I know our readers (all three of you) have been wondering where we've been all spring. I've been in overdrive, busy making stuff. Fear not, I've been taking tons of pictures along the way, and they're all sitting on my computer waiting to appear in blog-land. Way back in February (eek!), we got a new camera. We upgraded to an advanced point and shoot because I wanted more zoom, but don't need or want a fancy SLR camera. Not being one to drop extra money on a bag, I ran home and whipped one up on the sewing machine.

I found the wonderfully helpful and thorough Make a Camera Cozy tutorial online, which is for a camera similar in size to ours. I used fabric from my stash and a button from a friend's stash, so no trip to the fabric store for this project!

I cut the denim for the outside and fleece for the lining. I also used fusible interfacing to give the bag a little more structure.

Following the directions, I sewed it all up. This part was really quick. I did stop part of the way through to make sure the camera fit in the bag. I used our old camera to take many of the pictures in this post. As an aside, we still have the old camera, and still use both of them. Sometimes it's nice not to have to lug around the bigger camera.

Since I can't find the sewing machine book and can't seem to figure out how to make button holes, I improvised a different solution for bag closure. I used a hair elastic as a button loop instead, and I am pleased with this, as it is very easy to open and close the bag quickly. I hand sewed the elastic, between the outside and lining fabrics, before running it through the machine, for double strength.

This was a quick and easy sewing project. After four months of heavy use, I am still pleased with this little bag. As always, Mr provided much moral support and praise of the final product. He's my most enthusiastic supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment